Sunday, November 3, 2013

Heartworm and Other Parasites in California!

Those of us who live in the high desert have generally been pretty spoiled when it comes to parasites.  We have them, and we know we have them, but we tend to not see the burdens of parasites like other areas - areas that get more rain, for example.

This year, however, we have started to see a bit of a change.  We saw more fleas than ever before.  There were some weeks when we diagnosed fleas every single day.  It almost always was met with the response, "But we don't have fleas in the desert!"

I'm telling you that we do, and we have a LOT of them.   Fleas cause all sorts of skin problems, including intense itching, rashes, etc.  It doesn't matter if you don't SEE the flea;  it's something you MUST take into account when your pet has any sort of skin issue.  Believe me, I know that blank, disbelieving stare - people have been told for years that we just don't have fleas here.  But we do!!

I tell every owner that I see, who has a dog or a cat with itchy skin, to put them on flea preventative.  Needless to say I'm met with a lot of resistance!  But if you treat skin without preventing fleas, you are essentially doing nothing to solve the problem.

However, the SCARY thing I want to mention, is that we are starting to see more cases of HEARTWORM DISEASE now too.  I just diagnosed a case this week in a dog that has NEVER left CA and has been on preventative for YEARS.  We've always been a little more lenient on annual testing because the incidence of heartworm disease in the high desert, not to mention Southern CA, is very low.  But in my opinion, if even ONE comes up positive (like this doggy did) then it's something I'm going to start recommending to everyone, every year.

I tend to recommend what I do for my own dog.  Well, guess what?  My own dog is now going to be tested yearly and will stay on heartworm and flea prevention year round.   I practice what I preach.

Because of this, I've decided to put together a package of testing, priced nice and low so people can afford it.  The package will include a mini blood panel, a fecal test, a urinalysis and a heartworm test.  It will cost less than $100 which is a GREAT deal.  (Thank you Idexx laboratories for this awesome deal that is really going to help people and their pets!)

Don't be ignorant and blinded about parasites.  Our furry friends are worth too much for us to avoid these things.  Let's work hard on keeping them safe from those nasty things!!

When you call, ask about our special parasite package pricing.  If your pet is current on exam, they don't even need to see the doctor again, but if not, then an exam will be required.

Give us a call ASAP so we can get you in, get your pets tested and start them on life saving preventatives!   760-247-0292 

2 comments:

  1. I live in Apple Valley and I've never seen a single flea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am here to tell you that we see them weekly and treat them often and highly recommend flea preventative for this reason. My own dog stays on flea prevention year round because of how many fleas I see on my patients. Believe me, people tell me all of the time, "we don't have fleas up here!" and I just smile and show them the fleas I just found on their dog. :)

    ReplyDelete